Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feb 26 playing with my camera




So I have the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS, a small 8.3 mp camera that has a bunch of options on it. I have learned to use ISO functions, light exposure, and flash in a little more detail than I already knew.
There are lots of more options to change the color of the picture, what colors are more vivid, the white balance of the room and so on, but the one thing I cannot control is the f-stop. F-stop, or the aperture, allows the photographer to change the depth of field. In a simpler terms it allows the user to focus on specific objects, blurring out everything else. Of course that depends on what kind of picture you are taking, like maybe you want everything in the picture to be focused on, and not just the foreground.

Another thing I can only control a little is the shutter speed. That is the length of time the shutter is open, allowing certain amounts of light to come to the image sensor (or film if you use it). On my camera you can only control the exposure, which limits the flexibility that would be offered by full control of shutter speed. With total manual control you'd be able to perhaps capture a moving object much sharper and not as blurred as you would on a camera like mine.

The pictures I posted up are from around school, as I played with these features. I hope you like them :]


Photography is an ambiguous challenge to chance. - Guy Le Querrec

No comments:

Post a Comment